Special Note: when a recipe calls for “liquid sweetener of choice” that means that one can use maple syrup, honey, agave sweetener or any other liquid sweetener you would like.
When a recipe calls for “Dairy or non dairy” that means that one can use traditional dairy milk or soy, rice or almond milk.
Sweet Potato Chili
This chili can be made with black beans or red beans.It's delicious with gluten-free cornbread.
Yield: 4 Servings
4 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 large onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 T. chili powder
1 T. cumin
1 tsp. sea salt
1 c. water
2 15-oz. cans pinto beans, rinsed
1 c. chopped tomatoes
1 c. tomato sauce
1/3 c. chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
1. In large skillet cook oil, sweet potato, onion, and carrot over medium heat until onion softens but does not brown., approximately 2 minutes.
2. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, and sea salt.
3. continue to cook over low heat about 30 seconds, consistently stirring.
4. Add water and bring to a simmer.
5. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook until sweet potato is tender, approximately 15 minutes.
6. Add beans tomatoes, tomato sauce, cilantro, and lemon juice.
7. Simmer an additional 5 minutes. Serve warm.