Special Note: when a recipe calls for “liquid sweetener of choice” that means that one can use maple syrup, honey, agave sweetener or any other liquid sweetener you would like.
When a recipe calls for “Dairy or non dairy” that means that one can use traditional dairy milk or soy, rice or almond milk.
We love this refreshing Mediterranean Quinoa Salad.
We are honored to part of this year’s CALM Annual Celebrity Authors Luncheon. We will be signing copies of our latest book, The Memory Diet-More than 150 Healthy Recipes for the Proper Care and Feeding of Your Brain and proceeds will go to CALM(Child Abuse Learning and Mediation). Hope to see you on March 4, Saturday at 10am at The Double Tree Inn in Santa Barbara- http://calm4kids.org/events/celebrity-authors-luncheon/
Follow us on Facebook and Pinterest-The Double Energy Twins,
Twitter and Instagram-@dblenergytwins.
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
This is a tasty light salad that can be eaten alone or on top of mixed greens. Adding a 1/2 cup chopped black mission figs for an added sweet twist to the tangy salad.
Yield- 4 servings
1 cup uncooked quinoa, drained and rinsed
2 cups water
1 cup diced cucumber
1 cup diced tomato
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed.
1/2 cup Kalamata olives, halved
2 tablespoons diced parsley
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup chopped green onions (scallions)
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Optional- 1/2 cup chopped dried mission figs
1. Fill a medium saucepan with water and boil. Reduce heat and place quinoa in it, and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Let sit in pot until cool.
2. In a large bowl stir place cucumber, tomato, red bell pepper, chickpeas, olives, parsley, mint and onions.
3. Stir in quinoa into bowl.
4. In a small glass bowl stir or whisk lemon juice and olive oil.
5. Stir lemon dressing into quinoa mixture. Stir in sea salt and pepper. Chill and serve.